I always thought that puppies were too expensive to care for, especially for a college student.
Well I am at my last year of college and just could not wait anymore to get a dog, so I made a budget.
Turns out, it’s totally doable.
I made different budgets with shopping lists to accommodate different incomes
**All underlined words link you to the products at Amazon**
This is The: College Student Budget- AKA Poor and Tired Budget
My puppies love my socks and flip-flops when they don’t have anything to chew on. So I got them a couple chew toys each to start with.
3. Carrier: I love the Elite Field Soft Sided carrier it is about $26
4. Food Bowls: if you are tight on money, you can use your own plates and bowls. But dog food bowls aren’t expensive. They range from $5 to $20 depending on how fancy you want to get.
- Heart worm. I use Hartguard which is only sold by a vet.
- For fleas a common choice is Frontline plus. Make sure you know your dogs weight before choosing a product!
6. Puppy Pads are +/- depending on how good you are at puppy training. Yorkies are difficult to potty train so I use GOBUDDY puppy pads
All put together~ $100 to start with essentials
Keep in mind some are one time purchases
Food~ $21 (could last 1-4 months depending on your dog size)
Toys~ $20 to start
Food bowls ~$10
Meds- depending on vet could be $30 for 3 months of heartgard and $33 for 3 months of Frontline Plus
**Disclaimer: Every dog is different. These are general suggestions used as a frame of reference based on my experience.
Thank you for visiting
Hope this helped get a puppy adopted ❤